Welcome!

This blog is for all writers, published or not, that want to connect with other writers and who want to improve their craft.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Author Interview with Patricia Garber

1. Why do you write?
"I write to silence the voices inside my head," applies here. Now imagine my relief when I discovered- gasp- I wasn't alone.  Can this be true?  I'd never heard this quoted until it was used in a movie entitled "Anonymous". (Hollywood's attempt to shed light on the creative works--namely who actually created the body of work--of William Shakespeare.) As the final credits rolled, I almost jumped up out of my seat, ready to celebrate the simple truth that justifies the countless times I've driven from point A to point B with no memory of how I got there. (I was far too busy listening to the character dialog inside my own head.)  What a relief! And here I've been waiting for the men in white coats, convinced my turn will come when they've reached the letter G on the writer-round up list!  At last, now I can pull over--let's hope safely--and dig around for a scrap piece of paper, just so I can jot down my thoughts, in peace. I can actually celebrate my craziness because, like you, I'm in good company.

2. How many books have you written?
I've written two published novels (Eternal Flame and Dream Angel). The Angelic Saga, as it's called now, turned out to be an unexpected series.  Truthfully, I wasn't aware there was more than one book inside of me, and I never could have guessed, readers would want more. I feel truly blessed.
  
3. What inspired you to write your (latest) book?
"Write what you know," we've all heard this one. It's talked about in every writing seminar in every convention across the country. It's the best advice I've ever taken. I truly believe, if we can find one pulsating truth inside the fiction we're writing, and express it honesty, even if it brings you great pain, readers will come.  They're begging for us to take them on a journey, one that feels real but not too real (Real life bites there for we read).  They want the end to have a point. It doesn't have to be a life changing point, just something that sticks with them for at least a day. Something that assures them, they haven't wasted their time.  Not so hard, right?  No!  It's downright dreadful, but it's what we're called to do, so we might as well get serious about it.  

4. What is your favorite genre to read?
I enjoy any story with a good twist. Especially all genres of suspense like romance suspense or even a good crime novel where the sexual tension between the villain and the hero act as a side story.  Is that twisted? Ok, maybe just a tad, but conflict makes for a great story!

5. Is your writing style at all influenced by those of your favorite authors?
I would love to think so, but I don't have it in me to even presume this could be true.

6. Which is your favorite book that you’ve written?
A tough question, as I've enjoyed each book for a different reason and no one more than the other.  I believe every writer has one great book inside of them, waiting to come out.  Have I written mine yet? I don't think so.
   
7. What is your opinion of the art of writing?
I think it's one of God's greatest gifts. To be able to create a world that gives people a break from the reality of life is a super power as great as, say, invisibility or flight.  I suppose we can't all be Superman, and somebody has to be The Riddler, but in the end most just want to be remembered for their effort. Good thing books last a forever.

8. What advice would you give someone who is just beginning their own novel?
Practice patience. Read up on the craft and the business. There is an over abundant amount of information out there and so much of the advice is simple.  We just have to believe we can do it!

9. Do you have any funny and / or interesting stories about how you’ve come up with plots or characters?
When I created Heather, the best friend to my heroine, much of her personality traits resembled my own girlfriends.  See, I took the name of one, used the personality traits of another, the oddities of yet another, and had me a pretty darn good character. The best part, for me, is listening while they attempt to dissect which parts belong to whom. Its countless hours of entertainment!  Of course nobody wants to own up to the obnoxious or more dysfunctional side of the character, and everybody can see her charm within themselves. It's a complete riot! And explains why most writers don't have any friends. (Not true)

10. Coke or Pepsi?
Coke with a splash of Jack.

You can find Patricia's books here, like "Eternal Flame" here, visit her website, and follow her on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment