Welcome!

This blog is for all writers, published or not, that want to connect with other writers and who want to improve their craft.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Author Interview with Robyn Porter

1. Why do you write?
I couldn’t image not writing. For as long as I can remember, I’ve always played out adventures in my head. Whether it was to entertain myself as a child, or help me fall asleep at night, I’ve always created something. It wasn’t until a few years ago, that a friend told me I should jot them down. It took me awhile to commit to it, but once I did I’ve never looked back.

2. How many books have you written?
Currently I have five books out and three others that are done and going through editing. I’ve started working on two other novels and have many more in the works.

3. What inspired you to write your (latest) book?
A dream I had a year or so ago. I tend to remember most of what I dream, so when something seems interesting I try and see if it can turn into a plot idea. This one was great. It’s my first stab (pardon the pun) at writing horror, but one of my best stories yet.

4. What is your favorite genre to read?
I don’t have one favorite. I adore fantasy and urban fantasy but I also love horror and medical thrillers. I think it is great to have a wide range of tastes as it keeps things interesting.

5. Is your writing style at all influenced by those of your favorite authors?
I take things I’ve learned from other authors and see what works for me. Some things do, others don’t. But then again, most people take what they see all around them and absorb it into their own routines all the time. Writing is no different. :)

6. Which is your favorite book that you’ve written?
My favorite book is a new Fantasy series I have releasing in the next month. The series is called Guardians of Nature and the first book is titled Keepers of Water. I adore nature and love the belief in magic and this book combines those two aspects. I also have a real affinity for nature and the harm we, as humans, are doing to it. This addresses how the neglect we are giving to our world ends up endangering another world.

7. What is your opinion of the art of writing?
It is something that comes from within, really. Anyone can write down an idea, but to draw another person into that world and allow them to feel what your characters feel, see what they see, that is a talent that is not always easy to develop. Some are more natural at it than others, but if you can do it, it’s an amazing feeling seeing the worlds one creates come to life.

8. What advice would you give someone who is just beginning their own novel?
Read, a lot. It is one of the first things I was told. The more you read, the more you will understand the world you want to create and how others have successfully done so. Also, research what is involved. Sadly, there are many pitfalls out there waiting to snatch up new writers and cause them to pay out the ear for things they should not. Lastly, find writer groups and join them. You would be amazed at the wealth of knowledge out there and most authors/writers are more than willing to give advice and tips.

9. Do you have any funny and / or interesting stories about how you’ve come up with plots or characters?
One of my really creepy scenes from When Darkness Falls actually came from a dream my hubby had. Now, this is interesting only because my husband tends to never remember his dreams. This one freaked him out so bad and made him feel so sick that I had him give me every detail he could recall. (poor hubby, he cringed with every word). I loved it so much it went into one of the scenes, and so far, that scene has been the one most people say is the creepiest. J

10. Coke or Pepsi?
Hah! Neither. J When I was younger I was told I had to stop drinking dark sodas due to migraines. Not touched them since I was 18. I do love Orange Crush and Sprite though.


Be sure to check out Robyn's books for Kindle and Nook, as well as her website and blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment