Welcome!

This blog is for all writers, published or not, that want to connect with other writers and who want to improve their craft.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Author Interview with Camellifolia

1. Why do you write?
Two different reasons. First I write sermons for my church. I am what is called a Lay Speaker. We fill-in when the Pastor is away. I am currently compiling the sermons I've written and will be self-publishing it soon. Secondly I write because I love words and story telling.

2. How many books have you written?
I've written one novel and self-published it. I am about half way done with a second novel. And as I mentioned I'm compiling my collection of short sermons.

3. What inspired you to write your (latest) book?
Capitol Terror was inspired by living in the post 911 Washington D.C. area. I've lived in Maryland most of my life and life has changed since 911. But life goes on. People still fall in love, get married, go to football games etc. This story is about that with the threat of a terror attack woven throughout.

4. What is your favorite genre to read?
I like spy stories, some science fiction, action and adventure.

5. Is your writing style at all influenced by those of your favorite authors?
No. I read famous authors like Tom Clancy and Robin Cook but I don't write like them. I like to inject a little humor even when the story is about bad things happening.

6. Which is your favorite book that you’ve written?
The one I'm writing now. It is a detective story introducing a private investigator named Collin Carter.

7. What is your opinion of the art of writing?
The story is more important than technical perfection. The basics of English usage, spelling and simple grammar, keep the words from slowing down the story but perfect technical English is - or can be - boring.

8. What advice would you give someone who is just beginning their own novel?
Keep notes or an outline with a time line as you go. After 40 or 50 thousand words you tend to forget what you wrote in the beginning. To keep the story consistent and accurate you need keep a written log of who did what when.

9. Do you have any funny and / or interesting stories about how you’ve come up with plots or characters?
Names can be very difficult. You want the names of the characters to be interesting but not crazy sounding. I have used calendars and advertisements to find a word that became a character's name after I removed a letter from the beginning. For example: the word posting became Osting, As for the plot and the characters - they just jump into my mind fully formed. I see them in full color as if I were watching a movie. But I keep the physical details to a minimum because people form their own images as they like people to be. If I say a character is handsome or beautiful everyone has a mental image of how that should look. I don't want to spoil that image with too much detail.

10. Coke or Pepsi?
Pepsi.

You can get Camellifolia's book "Capitol Terror" at Amazon.com, Amazon.uk, and Amazon.de.
Follow her and her book on Facebook, as well as read her blog

No comments:

Post a Comment